Thursday, April 24, 2008

Who's Your Favorite Supervillian

Since I've been lacking the urge to convert all you heroless infidels who have been raised in our secular humanist public schools which are run by mostly free thinking liberals who preach the moral relativism that can only come from Anime, I've decided to break with the pontificating for a moment.

Who is your favorite supervillain?

About.com lists their top ten:

1) Galactus
2) Lex Luthor
3) Magneto
4) Joker
5) Dr. Doom
6) Venom
7) Darkseid
8) Ra's Al Ghul
9) Green Goblin
10) Apocalypse

Notably missing from this list are: Catwoman, Black Manta, Brainiac, Granny Goodness, Scarecrow, Riddler, Poison Ivy, Gorilla Grodd, Star Sapphire, Penguin (especially when played in the old 60's shows by Burgess Meredith), Riddler, Two-Face, Mirror Master, the Cheetah, and as much as pains me to say to this: Dr. Octopus, Kingpin, Mystique, and possibly Harry Heck- even though I'm not sure Heck was an actual villain from the Marvel universe or made just for The Punisher movie. Hell, for all I know about Marvel Comics. If Harry Heck ain't a regular in the Punisher comic books, he should be. Harley Quinn was added to the DC pantheon of evil after Batman, the Animated Series and I'd count her as one of my favorites too.

So who's your favorite? What's your top ten list? Leave your favorites and we'll take a vote. DC, Marvel, or otherwise- which supervillain would you like to come and terrorize your town and why?

9 comments:

Malach the Merciless said...

I love in no particular order:

Joker, Darkseid, Typhoid Mary, Harley Quinn, Sabertooth, Scarecrow, Ozymandius, Galactus, Kingpin, Brainiac, Jigsaw, Nuke, Bullseye to name a few.

Elvis Drinkmo said...

Sabertooth is one of my favorites I forgot to mention and Bullseye too.

May Batman have mercy on my soul for giving props to these Marvel icons. :)

The Film Geek said...

LOL Terrific post, Rev. And since I subscribe to the once in grace always in grace aspect of DC Treckiology, I'm sure you're fine even with this post. Although, you gotta get on the wagon again soon!

I really dig Magneto, Electra and Grodd a lot. But my favorite is the Joker, as long as he's not written for laughs.

Anonymous said...

I really need to think about my list. But Lex Luthor and The Joker are my top two.

larryosaurus said...

Ahh, it's good to see the Universes blending Elvis. You are a true diplomat.

Marvel- I like Dr. Doom (comics only, that FF movie version was weeeak!) just because Prince Namor is one of his favorite adversaries. Oh, and the Green Goblin of course....because he digs the pumpkins!

As far as DC villians go, I dig me some Harley and Ivy. I watch "Batman: Animated Series" all the time and these girls rock. The Joker is good in there too...for DC that is :D

Buzzardbilly said...

While coming completely from outside the DC (or even teh blasphemous Marvel) collections, I think El Seed from The Tick is pretty inspired.

Annake said...

I always like the Joker and Green Goblin. And I gotta agree with Buzzardbilly about El Seed. Now I need to watch some episodes of The Tick.

Elvis Drinkmo said...

No doubt, the Tick kicked ass. I'm with you Mild Red, I need me some episodes.

I agree with most of you all, even you, Jackie- ;) Hell, I had no idea Prince Namor fought Dr. Doom. I may have to give up my fundamentalist DC ways and check some of those comic books out.

Dr. Doom is one of my all time favorite villains- and you all have no idea how much it hurts me down in my stomach to admit that. But I have to ask the Marvel fans- who the hell was Galactus? And how did rank number 1 hence beating the Joker at About.com? Was he that dark cloud at the end of Rise of the Silver Surfer? And since I'm confessing all my sinsters- I did read Fantastic Four and Spiderman Comic books as a kid and still do sometimes. But I have no memory of anyone named Galactus.

Anyway, here's my top ten:

1) The Joker
2) Dr. Doom
3) Catwoman
4) Riddler
5) Black Manta
6) Magneto
7) The Green Goblin
8) Lex Luthor
9) Penguin
10) Harvey "Two-Face" Dent

I know I'm really heavy on the Batman villains, here. Bizzaro Superman, Star Sapphire, and Toyman ought to squeeze in there somewhere.

So now maybe I should start another post- maybe. Of all these super villains (or superheroes for that matter) which actors did the best or the worst job of pulling these characters off in the motion pictures?

Jack Nicholson as the Joker and Willam DeFoe as the Green Goblin immediately come to mind as great. I already mentioned Burgess Meredith as the Penguin- Danny DeVito sucked. The Penguin I grew up with was a shrewd and fiendish aristocratic villain in a tux, not some scroungy, fanged monster eating raw fish out of a paper bag.

I ain't gonna mention the governor of California playing Mr. Freeze. Uma Turman might have made a decent Poison Ivy if Joel Schumacher wasn't such a shitty producer who damn near ruined the Batman franchise.

Thoughts?

Anne Johnson said...

I would love it if The Vulture would come and terrorize my town. Otherwise I would say the local teenagers are beating out every Supervillain on your list.

BTW - You will love Yellowdog Granny's expose of the filthy sex in Star Wars. It's in her blog. The expose, not the sex.