After reading about a courthouse in Kentucky which is allowed to keep those comic book frames called "The Ten Commandments" on their walls, I decided to look at those words from that comic book again:
1. You shall have no other gods before me.
2. You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,
3. You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.
4. Remember the Sabbath day, and keep it holy. For six days you shall labour and do all your work. But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and consecrated it.
5. Honour your father and your mother, so that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.
6. You shall not murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.
10. You shall not covet your neighbour’s house; you shall not covet your neighbour’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour.
They can't be serious! If the Borg decide to invade on a Saturday, we're supposed to just dock our ships, lay down our arms, and become assimilated? My dogs aren't even allowed to defend to me if the drones start breaking into our houses on the day these people call the Sabbath!
This is truly unbelievable. Rules 6, 8, and 9 could certainly be applied to our sacred Federation and DC values, but what about the rest of them? This jealous superhero they call God really needs to get a grip on himself. Punishing children for the inequity of their parents? Batgirl and Wonder Woman would never proclaim any such nonsense like that. Neither would Starfleet Captains Kathryn Janeway or Benjamin Sisko- I can assure you.
If there is textbook definition of insanity, the people who advocate enforcing these ten laws are it.
Ten Commandments, Church and State, Sabbath, Kentucky, Federal Courts