Sunday, July 1, 2007

You Mean There's No Batman!

Political writer Christopher Hitchens has written a book called God is Not Great- How Religion Poisons Everything where he claims that religions cause a lot more harm than good. Here's a brief excerpt:

"There are four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum of servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking.

I do not think it is arrogant of me to claim that I had already discovered these four objections (as well as noticed the more vulgar and obvious fact that religion is used by those in temporal charge to invest themselves with authority) before my boyish voice had broken. I am morally certain that millions of other people came to very similar conclusions in very much the same way, and I have since met such people in hundreds of places, and in dozens of different countries. Many of them never believed, and many of them abandoned faith after a difficult struggle."

I suppose he also doesn't believe that Aquaman reigns supreme over Atlantis or that Wonder Woman is out there in her invisible plane keeping us safe from crime.

Well, I sure do hope Hitchens can summon up some heat ray vision and employ other such super powers while flying through the sky. Because without the Justice League, I don't know what the hell we're going to do when the secret society known as the Legion of Doom decides to launch their final assault on our way of life.

Tags:

No comments: